– Do the relationships between your characters develop and change and become more complicated as the book goes on?
– What do your characters want? Is it apparent to the reader? Do they have both conscious and unconscious motivations?
– Do you know what your writing tics are? Do you overuse adverbs, metaphors, facial expressions, non-“said” dialogue tags, or interjections? Have you removed them?
– Do you overuse certain words or phrases? Is your word choice perfect throughout?
– Does your book come to a completely satisfying conclusion? Does it feel rushed?
– Do your main characters emerge from the book irrevocably changed?
– Are your characters distinguishable? Does it make sense to combine minor characters?
– Do each of your scenes make dramatic sense on their own as well as move the overall plot forward?